Thursday, October 31, 2013

Being Badoed

There's a word here, bado, it means not yet, or wait a bit. I'm being badoed, which is grammatically poor but does succinctly describe what Immigration has been doing to me since my first trip to Africa. I have always tried to do what they asked, when they asked, but only once have I gotten what I needed. Why do they do this? Same reason dogs pee on trees. Because they can. There's some territorial issues as well. These guys have way more power than they need, certainly more than they can handle without acting like  a pack of imbeciles.

When I got here in January of 2011, we applied for my work permit through our lawyers, to whom Brad pays a hefty retainer for just this type of thing. In his first trip innocence he assured me we would have it in no time because "we have lawyers". I said fine, ok, you bet, and three months later in April I made my first trip to Malawi to renew my visa. I made yet another border run in July, because there were some issues, but bado, it will come. Just about the time I was ready to make my third run, it arrived. O Happy Day. I was legal in Tanzania, which I hadn't been in Ghana and twice in Tanzania, despite my efforts. 


Earlier this year I mentioned to Brad that although it was about six months until my permit expired, we should probably get on it. Having lost his virginity on my first permit, he readily agreed. Well, my permit expired in August, and as of this day, October 13, I am without a permit. We almost had it but bado, there was no paper at Immigration. Only in Africa would this be offered as a legitimate excuse, and only here would it be accepted as one. I fell for it. I was laughing, but since nothing here can be headed off at the pass, we just wait till something happens then run around trying to fix it.


Apparently the paper shortage was severe, because two weeks after they ran out of paper, I still had no permit. I did have, however, a letter from the lawyer stating that I had paid my fee and turned in my paperwork. This was signed, and did have a stamp, just not they stamp I needed. I was planning a trip to Nairobi, so I called the lawyer, now and forever to be referred to as Otilia, that moron, and asked if I could take my valid passport along with this note, and cross into Kenya. She said of course, hamna shida (that should have been my first clue). Before I made my bus reservations, and before the Somalis attacked the mall near the place I was going, I called the other lawyer to double check. He laughed and advised me not to try it. He would call around and get to the bottom of the issue, so bado, he would call me the next day. That never happened, so we called the head guy of the firm and he said hamna shida, he would talk to the others and have an answer for me in a day or two. That was the last we heard from him.


I go on vacation in six weeks, so I'm a little nervous. What if they don't let me out of the country, and if I do get out, what if I can't get back in? We called Otilia, that moron, again, and got the number of someone actually at Immigration. Ruth called and hamna shida, I can use the note to get my permit endorsed. Apparently my permit is AT Immigration, but now I need to bring the note to them. Also I need to bring another letter asking if I can use the note to ask for my permit. Please, if any of this makes sense to any of you, let me know.


I have another mgeni (guest) arriving on Thursday, so will go in early in the am to Dar and sit at Immigration, with my valid passport, my letter, and my letter asking to use my letter, and await my fate. I try to be optimistic, and if I succeed you will hear the ASIFIWE BWANA JESU all the way to the US, but in my heart I know will leave Dar  dejected, shoulders slumped, letters in my backpack, with the promise that hamna shida, come back tomorrow or the next day. Bado kidogo, you will get your permit, Mungu akipenda na Inshallah (if God wishes and if Allah sees fit...I try to cover all the bases).


Just in case you were wondering, Curly, Larry and Moe are not dead, far from it. They are here in Tanzania, running the Department of Immigration. 



Update: well, it's Thursday night, I'm home and wonder of wonders, with a valid visa. Waited at Immigration for about an hour, and they gave it to me. Up until the last minute, I was sure they would refuse for some reason, no pens, no ink for the stamp… O me of little faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment